Because if you have a strong foundation…then you can build or rebuild anything on it. But if you’ve got a weak foundation you can’t build anything.
– Jack Scalia, American Actor
The perfect foundation for building a great wardrobe is a collection of good quality underwear. That’s right. I said it…undies, unmentionables, bras, panties, shape wear, etc. The right underwear helps you look sleek, smooth and put together no matter what you’re wearing; they make you feel more comfortable and confident. Underwear can improve your posture and give you a slimmer appearance. When you set the tone with a great set of underwear you are in tune with your “inner sexy” enabling you to exude confidence. Here are some of my rules of the road to set the tone for your attire:
- If it doesn’t fit, you must acquit – Yes the infamous words uttered by Johnnie Cochran during the OJ Simpson trial also apply to your underwear. Undergarments that are ill fitting, either too small or too large, create unnecessary bulges underneath your clothing that ruin your outward appearance. Bras or panties that are too tight push our extra “cushion” into unnecessary places while pieces that are too large cause sag and bunching. And let’s face it, when our underwear isn’t comfortable it can negatively affect our daily confidence and mood.
- Choose the right style and color – There are many different styles of undies out there these days; bikinis, boy shorts, hipsters, thongs, full coverage, low rise, high rise, seamless. When it comes to bras there are just as many selections. Your style choice depends on many factors associated with your clothing such as the type of fabric, item type (pants, skirt, dress), cut of the item (A-line, fitted, racer back, tank). I recommend having a stock of several different types and colors so you’re prepared for anything. Nothing kills an outfit more than an unwanted panty line. Before leaving home, always look behind you to make sure your clothes and not your undies are making a statement.
- Always stand at attention – There’s nothing I dislike more than a saggy chest. Even though Mother Nature may not be cooperating, it doesn’t mean you can’t fight against her. A great bra is essential to any wardrobe. When a designer designs a piece of clothing, a woman’s shape is taken into account and breasts are a huge part of that. When the girls are properly placed it helps to provide a womanly shape and improves the way an outfit looks. If your bra doesn’t support you, it’s time to say farewell. It’s important to have a bra fitting every 6-12 to ensure you’re wearing the right size bra (cup and band) and giving your girls the support they need. Here are some great places to get fitted and additional fitting tips:
- Know when to say goodbye – While we all have our favorite pieces you have to take a cue from Kenny Rogers. “Know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em, know when to walk away, know when to run.” If your underwear looks like Swiss cheese or the elastic has begun to fray, if you’ve lost or gained a few pounds, it might be time to walk away or possibly run.
Either today or on the next laundry day take a moment to review your undies. Is it time to fold them or run?